Monday, December 17, 2007

Weekend

This past weekend, I didn't take one picture. I had full intentions of taking pictures but my camera never made it to my destinations or if it did, I didn't take it out of my purse. Wyatt got his hair cut Saturday morning at the Barber Shop. Doesn't sound too eventful, however, this was only the 2nd time he has gotten his hair cut by a professional. His style from his mama clipping his hair has been simply a buzz cut. It had been over a year since his first experience (that, let's say was not a pleasurable experience for him) so I decided with all his progress in his behavior, he was ready.....and he really did pretty good until.............

#1-It was just taking way to long (20 minutes later for a 3 year old is just too long), he had sat still for as long as he could without getting antsy. He started to pull off the cape, his slobber had attracted his clippings so his chin and neck had teeny tiny hairs itching him.

#2-The barber sliced his neck, not once, but twice. Ok, maybe it wasn't a slice, but it did bleed and made him cry, the barber gave him a sucker and I gave him a hug and that helped (a little) and

#3-The barber had his booth in the front right at the window. It started to snow outside and all Wyatt could see is that he wanted to go play!



This entire situation is such an improvement from a year ago (I know I said that twice) but it is true. It is a constant struggle for me to stay on top of every situation that comes up with him and take the correct course of action. I am not the smartest person and I don't feel I am a complete idiot, but as a single parent I second guess myself a lot and reflect on if I should have done something different (not to mention the guilt I carry-another long story I'll write about later). I have been lucky enough that I have a pediatrician and daycare provider that are helping me work with him through his diet and consistent disciplinary measures. There are days that it takes every ounce of my energy to be patient with him and I totally hate myself when I lose control and act out in a way that is completely out of character. My hope and thoughts are on the future and that my little boy will grow out of having temper tantrums-laying of the floor, kicking and crying, spitting-mostly to himself when he gets mad.....among other lashing out techniques that I find difficult to understand.

1 comment:

amy said...

Aww, what a touching heartfelt account. I think all parents question themselves, and being a single one has to make some things more difficult. I'm sure it would be nice for you to have support and help. But raising your son is the most important thing you can do. To help him be the best person he can when he grows up takes a lot of work and dedication - and I'm sure you are doing a great job! Some things will get easier, remember that he is only 3!

You might want to take him to a place like Supercuts (or whatever you have in Branson) and ask for someone experienced with small children (these places usually deal with kids A LOT). 20 minutes is ridiculous, and cutting him should not have happened. A person skilled with kids would have done better.